Friday, July 23, 2010

Imagine, In This Day and Age!

When I first began this work over 18 years ago, I spent a lot of time educating people about hypnotherapy – what it is and what it isn’t. One of the most prevalent misconception had something to do with quacking and waddling like a duck (don’t ask).

As far as I’m concerned, one of the greatest areas of progress that came with the turn of this century has been the widespread recognition of the value of hypnotherapy in mind-body healing of all types. From Dr. Herbert Benson to Dr. Bernie Siegel to Dr. Candace Pert to Dr. Andrew Weil to Dr. Deepak Chopra to Dr. Bruce Lipton to Dr. Alice Domar … medical experts in just about every field have acknowledged the effectiveness of hypnotherapy as a therapeutic tool.

So imagine my astonishment when my work was questioned the other day by a self-professed "healer" and specialized trainer. This is someone I've known and worked with for two years, someone I trusted and liked.

The root of her doubts lies in a woman I'll call "Natalia." Natalia was a chain smoker who I met through the trainer. When I told her my profession, Natalia admitted that she was fascinated by hypnosis and had always wanted to see if she could be hypnotized. She said she wanted to stop smoking and asked if my work could help.

I conducted my two-hour smoking cessation session with Natalia, including a hypnotherapy segment that I customized according to her specifications and then recorded for her on site. The suggestions included taking a shower first thing in the morning instead of having that first cigarette.

Well, apparently Natalia a) really didn't believe it would work and b) didn't really want to stop smoking because when she found herself taking a shower first thing the next morning, she was spooked and upset. When I checked in with her several days later she described her experience and told me that she found the whole thing "scary." She actually told me that she was forcing herself to smoke because the hypnotherapy worked so well.

If you want hypnosis to work, then why should it be "scary"when it does? I just don't get it. The key is that you cannot be made to do or say anything as a result of hypnosis that is contrary to your morals, beliefs or ethics. As long your intentions are honorable and you're working with a reputable practitioner, there's no danger involved and only positive possibilities.

Now, here's the really puzzling part that surfaced earlier this week. Natalia had told the trainer that she found my work "scary" and instead of reassuring Natalia that she was perfectly safe, the trainer's own ignorance-based fears were triggered. Instead of admitting that she was totally ignorant about the process, she questioned the appropriateness of hypnotherapy as a healing modality. "Natalia is still smoking!" she said to me as her proof. If I hadn't been so stunned, angry and hurt I would have laughed.

Needless to say, I'm looking for another trainer.

If you're interested, I have a whole section of my website (www.ahigherperspective.com) devoted to misconceptions regarding hypnotherapy. And if you ever have questions or concerns about the safety or effectiveness of my work, please just ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment