Friday, November 5, 2010

Well, look at that!

I have trouble with the standing-leg postures in my Bikram Yoga practice. I don't know, maybe it's a Libra thing that balance doesn't come easily to me. I also have trouble making a balanced Vimala "Ss," which is the letter of balance. Added to the mix is the fact that the left side of my body is markedly weaker than my right. (Hmm ... left side ... female energy ... too much giving? Hey, I'm working on that, too!)

Anyway. Balance, yes. I decided to run a little experiment. As part of my daily handwriting practice, I occasionally do some writing with my non-dominant, left hand. I started paying attention to how poorly or (relatively) well I got through the standing-leg postures in correlation to the left-handed writing.

There's no doubt that when I consistently spend even a few minutes writing with my left hand, my body balances better in yoga.

Anyone else out there with balance problems? Try the non-dominant-hand writing suggestion and let me know what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment