Monday, November 15, 2010

Keyboard vs. Pen

In response to my November newsletter column on handwriting and the brain, I received this message from a very dear friend of the family. She writes, "This one on handwriting took me back to my school years, when we wrote, wrote wrote. I don't doubt the truth of
handwriting being a benefit to brain function.

We are so totally dependent now on the computer because
it is so much faster for communication, and then one cannot
ignore the ease of instantly correcting one's mistakes at the keyboard.

Truthfully, we get lazy as we age, for one more excuse."

Well, B., as with everything else in life, computer vs. handwriting seems to be a matter of balance. We have unleashed the beast (technology) and now we must make sure it doesn't devour us!

I really have to watch myself from becoming obsessive about checking email, using my cell phone in the car to check voicemail (when I could easily wait a little bit) ...

No comments:

Post a Comment