Thursday, November 19, 2009

Long time no write!

What a time it's been! For my clients, friends and self, the past couple of months have been unusually intense. I have responded by easing up on my commitments, including this blog. Instead, I have allowed myself more mindless pursuits like finishing up the season of "Mad Men" and the latest episode of "The Good Wife." It's been incredibly satisfying to watch certain shows whose turmoil only lasts 44 minutes or so before being neatly and happily resolved.

Last Friday, November 13, my husband and I had just merged onto 101 from 128 on our way back from a much-needed vacation in Mendocino. I still don't know what came over me, but I turned to him and said something like: "It feels as though something significant has shifted. I don't know why or how, but it's huge -- like tectonic plates shifting. I know it sounds really weird, but I feel suddenly as though our world has changed somehow and life will never be the same."

When we arrived home, we heard of three deaths that had taken place over the few days we had been away. One was a 6-year-old girl in Oakland who had been born with cancerous melanomas, one was the cherished 22-year-old son of my Alphabetical Sister, Robin in Rhode Island, and one was a man in his 50's in the San Fernando Valley, the father of one of my kids' friends. All the services had been completed for these dear ones. Since January, I have attended 6 funerals of people who were each precious to me.

There is no doubt that our resilience muscles are being toned. There is no doubt that uncertainty is one of our few certainties. I can only hold fast to the hands of my Guides and Angels and trust them to keep me going in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment