Monday, October 12, 2009

How much do you charge?

In my circles of friends and colleagues, it's common to speak in terms of "an exchange of energy" when describing the collection of fees for services rendered.

Setting fees has been problematic for me from the very first client I saw, nearly 18 years ago. How does one put a monetary value on one's skills? On healing? On wellness?

When I say I have a "sliding scale," some people are puzzled by the phrase. It means that my fees are adjustable, according to the client's financial situation.

Some years ago, there was one troubled man I saw over a period of several months. He was a referral from Dr. Len Saputo of the Health Medicine Institute and because of debilitating back pain, could only work part-time. Dr. Saputo was using photon light therapy on him and although there was some improvement from that, Dr. Saputo astutely figured that there must be emotional components to the pain that prevented the complete "cure" possible. I offered to see "Jim" at $25 per visit. He was fearless in our work together, never refusing to go into what I think of as the "tender places" in order to heal. As he got better and better, he was able to work more. I realize that I expected him to offer to increase his weekly payment to me as his financial situation improved. When that didn't happen, I understood how naive I'd been in my expectation.

I'm better at setting those boundaries these days. As important as it is for to me to be of service when I can, and to price those services to be accessible, I know it is also up to me to ask for what I feel those services are worth. People who don't blink at dropping hundreds of dollars for a single dinner at a fine restaurant put up all kinds of resistance when asked to pay my full fee. Sometimes I can laugh about. Sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. Funny that this posting should occur after our conversation! For better or worse, this world is typically about exchange of goods and services for a fee, so these types of questions are not uncommon. I realize that the healing power you possess cannot easily have attached to it a price tag; nevertheless the business aspect that comes with it necessitates it. I appreciate your sensitivity in using a sliding scale, which shows your sincerity in using your gift to help others who would otherwise find it a hardship, if not a near impossibility from a financial standpoint. A meal out for us, let alone a fancy one, would be something akin to Costco dogs! We understand and respect fair charges. I think the human inclination in regards to money since for most it is so hard earned, is to watch your pursestrings a bit more closely when it comes to things with which you're not familiar. Okay, that's my 2 cents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I have spoken with several people about this subject over the past two days, I can't determine who you are, Anonymous, and can only reply via my blog.

    I do appreciate your comments, especially concerning the hesitation to commit hard-earned funds for something unfamiliar. I can certainly relate to that!

    Thank you for taking the time to read post and reply.

    ReplyDelete